My name is Stephen Maliku Dhamarrandji, and I am a Djambarrpuyŋu person. I was born in Gove, Nhulunbuy and I was raised up at Rulku in Milingimbi, with my 3 grandmothers from the Gupapuyŋu clan.
When I was 12, I went back to Galiwin’ku and my schooling was at Sheperdson College. Then in 1993 I moved to study at St John’s college in Darwin where I boarded for 3 years. I came back to Galiwin’ku and graduated year 11 at Shepherdson college.
- 2000 – 2002: Landscape Gardening (CDEP, Galiwin’ku)
- 2002 – 2005: Building and construction (Sport and Rec)
- 2006 – 2008: Assistant Tutor (Shepherdson College)
- 2006 – 2008: Teacher and Facilitator (FAST Program, Volunteer)
- 2008 – 2011: Bank Teller (Traditional Credit Union)
- 2011 – 2013: Case Consultant (Marthakal Employment Service)
- 2013 – 2014: Call Centre Attendant (Housing repair and maintenance )
- 2014 – 2016: Ranger, Gumurr Marthakal Rangers
- 2014 – 2016: Learning on Country Program (Shepherdson College)
- 2016 – present: Yalu’ Coordinator and Skills Development Officer
I have a lot of experience in working with the community, and helping Yolŋu and Balanda brothers and sisters.
I currently work as a Coordinator and Skills Development Officer at Yalu’ Marŋgithinyaraw Indigenous Corporation. I work with the Stronger Communities for Children (SCfC) program, assist with training, coordinate research projects with researchers from CDU and support capacity building within the organisation. My research projects have included:
- Our Homes Research Project (with CDU) – 2019
- Remote Engagement and Coordination – Indigenous Evaluation Research (REC-IER), Phase 2: Electoral Engagement and Education (with CDU) – 2018-2019
- Remote Engagement and Coordination – Indigenous Evaluation Research’ (REC-IER) (with CDU) – 2016-2017
- Helping and Caring, not only our family: NT Indigenous Perspectives on Volunteering (with CDU) – 2016
- Families and Schools Together program (volunteer worker)
- Stronger Communities for Children (with Ninti One)
Cross Cultural Consultant:
I am currently available for work as a cross-cultural consultant. If you are interested in engaging my services, please get in contact via phone or email. My consultancy rates are charged at $120/hr.
Phone: 0459707444 Email: email@example.com
- Caring for Yolŋu and ways of life during COVID 19 (in Indigenous X, June 2020)
- Indigenous graduates celebrate recognition of research skills
- Webcast to focus on Yolŋu perspectives of COVID-19
- Embracing new world way of delivering education [below]
From Cyclones to COVID-19: Yolŋu perspectives on disaster management